Friday 15 February 2013

Growing support for Blog

Firstly, today is the last day to lodge any objections to plans which would threaten several Red and Amber listed species including the ever rarer Corn Buntings on Jason's patch at Shenstone, near Kidderminster. To give eleventh hour support to Jason's cause, if you have knowledge of, or interests in the area, then visit shenstonebirder@blogspot.com for all relevant information on how to do this.

I have lodged my own objection to the plans, and have received a notice from Wyre Forest DC, regarding a proposed Planning Committee meeting at the start of April to consider the application. Jason has kindly agreed to sort out an "update" tour of the patch during March and I shall be posting a report on the day's birding and prevalent issues shared. I am so looking forward to spending time in an area of farmland, where birds have for so far been considered and protected by the farming and general community.

Right, from potential destruction to good news!!!

Our blog received traffic of well in excess of 100 on two consecutive days, this week, for the first time since the site went live. Another landmark, which was re-enforced by a fantastic email, I received from Gareth Clements.

He has kindly given wholehearted support to the blog and also gave an impressive summary of his time in the valley: a patch list of 149 species and personal finds which included Gargarney, Brent Goose, Iceland Gull, and Little Bunting!!! Incidentally he also noted that his bogey bird was Pochard, so anyone discovering one on the reserve should get onto him straight away!!!

I have got quite a few ideas to further widen our audience by increasing interest and participation, but until they creep off the drawing board I just want to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to all those in the local community and Midlands birding network for following us, spreading the word and creating this early growth.

And to all those that have the Smestow Valley running through their veins and who have helped me so much over the last 18 months, I want to wish you all the very best of birding as Spring passage gets ever-closer.

Finally, conditions look right for my tour of the area immediately South of Smestow Valley to take place tomorrow. I shall be covering the area between Pool Hall, Trescott, Nurton, Great Moor, Seisdon, Trysull and Bratch Locks.

I used the same prediction technique which produced a target of 55 species for my last trip North of the valley. Only this time it came up with a target of 45, which surprised me. I  am quietly confident I can break this, although my main objective remains to get a fresh feel for an area which has seen a massive decline in birds since my days spent around it in the mid 90's (when I was able to easily pick up Grey Partridge, Red-legged Partridge (10 a penny at Trysull quarries!!) , Skylark flocks, Tree Sparrows and Reed Buntings, at this time of year).

I shall be posting a trip summary at some point on Monday.

1 comment:

Jason K said...

Many thanks for the excellent appeal to your readers Chris!