Friday 1 February 2013

The Work Begins.....

Friday 1st February 2013

At last I have got through my work commitments and have some precious time to devote to the patch, this blog and tackling issues in the valley.

The events in the mid-section of Smestow Valley are a strong signal that the time has come to once again share our knowledge of the area's wildlife and conservation issues, with those that now control it's future!!!

There have been thousands of hours involved by Angus Dickie, Frank Dickson and others to keep the authorities informed over the years.

Furthermore the owners of Dunstall Park Racecourse have demonstrated just how an area can be protected and enhanced through a shared and understanding approach.

LNR, as I understand it means Local NATURE RESERVE!!!

So I am about to embark on a mission to try and find out why, after the loss and disturbance at Compton Park (which has removed Tawny Owls and threatened the breeding status of Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Treecreeper there), we have just put two other key nesting areas in severe jeopardy.

Unfortunately our contact at Leisure Services is on leave till Monday, so I am unable to get the ball rolling immediately so please bare with me. My intention is to share information as soon as possible in order to prevent any further damage to the Valley.

I will keep you posted.

In the mean time I am planning to explore the area North of the Valley, possibly as far as Calf Heath tomorrow, in order to get a feel for the status of birds in the surrounding area. At the same time, having missed out on the fun of the "Foot it" challenge, I have set myself a target of finding 55 species during the day. This is a relatively new area for me so please could you all share any knowledge of strongholds for less common species that may exist along the tract of land that basically runs through Pendeford, M54, The 3 Hammers Golf Club and on to Calf Heath.

Sorry about the short notice. I had to check the weather and work commitments first. Please either email any helpful info for my trip to the sightings email, comment here or text me on my usual mobile number if you have it.

I shall post an update of the day's birding at some point on Monday.

Thank you

No comments: