Friday 26 April 2013

Common Sandpiper Reports

Firstly, thank you to the two individuals that have reported a Common sandpiper in the valley yesterday -  25/4/13.

I understand that one was near the Prefab Weir, North of Compton Lock, and at 08:30 one alarm-called as it flew North past the Wildside Activity Centre, over the canal. A few minutes later, presumably the same bird headed South past Newbridge Wharf.

Also yesterday, I had meetings near Dudley Port, so I managed to nip into The sheepwash LNR. I was so glad that I did, as I had the pleasure to meet our "Midlands Birder", Craig Reed. 18 years old but definitely an old birding head on young shoulders and one to watch for the future, I'm sure.

He put me onto at least 8 wheatear on the mound to the east of the railway line, by the canal, including one that was showing characteristics of the "Greenland" race.

My list during the brief visit included 2 little Grebe, 2 great Crested Grebe, 2 Shoveler, 10+ Tufted Duck, Buzzard, Common Sandpiper, 2 Common Tern, Green Woodpecker, G S woodpecker, Grey wagtail, Pied Wagtail, 4+ singing Blackcap, 3+ Chiffchaff, 3 singing Willow Warbler, 4 Long-tailed Tit and 2 Reed Bunting. Not bad considering I hadnt got my bin's!!!

Thank you Craig for your hospitality. You remind me so much of my youth, diving around sites as you do. I used to walk to Belvide, Gailey and Chasewater on the same day. Make the most before life's commitments hit you young man!!!

No comments: